Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Astronaut's Birthday

Sometimes (at least six times a year) I seriously think about the question of art. What constitutes it? Why make it? Who is it really for? Do I consider myself an artist? Can a world exist without it? Etc. etc. It is indeed always a question that needs an attempt at answering. But in pondering that question it has recently brought up the bigger question of why do anything?

And not in a nihilistic way, but from a survival stand point.

I mean deep down do we really have a choice to do a lot of things? Can you lump art in with that most everything else we don't have a choice about? Yes for some and no for some?

Of course that question brings up a million other questions that will be answered in a million different ways by a million different people.

What I'm saying is, have you sat back and thought about what the important things in your life do for you and vice versa? Actually I don't know what I'm saying.

No comments: