Thursday, April 22, 2010

Birth

So yesterday I turned a year older or some such business. I'm pretty sure every year I say the same thing, I do not feel my age. Especially this year. Man, this age thing, who came up with it?

I actually don't care who came up with it, but it's sort of a mind trip. We're both at this age, but you are there and I am here and he is mature and she isn't or his clock is ticking and she doesn't care or they just can't relate or they are ten years apart and relate perfectly. You know?

Two weekends ago I was at a party filled with a few people I knew really well, a handful of acquaintances I knew fairly well, and a couple near strangers. I'm having a lovely time flitting around chatting and someone says, "Hey, where'd you get that bottle of champagne?" And I say I got it as a birthday gift, "Oh, how old are you going to be?" 26 Ya'll. That's right The Last Unicorn is in her mid to late twenties. I think I've officially bumped up a demographic. Big whoop. Age isn't something I normally think about too much or let limit me, but when a whole entire room of people falls silent and stares at you ... well it makes you feel sort of weird about that number attached to you in all the worst ways.

Growing up is so weird. I don't feel young and I don't feel old. I'm not in a rush. I'm just floating in this in between area, which is probably a really great place to be, but for now I just feel sort of lost. I just have to keep reminding myself that my journey is always going to be different than the person sitting next to me and hope that stuff lines up errry now and then. Just like my T. says, "What is 26 supposed to look or feel like anyway?"

So far so good.




No comments: