Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Words From the Wise

Last night two men spoke to me in ways that made me think and act.

One said, "If you want to go, go."

So then I went and just so I was knocked out of my bad mood and I saw old friends and met new ones and I laughed and it was exactly what I needed to feel good on a suburban winter night.

Another said in reaction to my slightly sheepish response to the question, "What do you do?" "Ah, so you like to take care of people. The world would be a better place if there were more people like you."

Prior to that statement and especially among the company of artists and archaeologists I answer that question with a little offense and a shrug of my shoulders. Through an endearing stranger I better understood myself. Do I love art? Yes, and sometimes I create it. Am I a lover of knowledge and solver of puzzles? Oh yes. Do I love my job? Most days. So why then should my body slightly recoil at the question? Oh, I'm just a nanny and I am just going to school to be a nurse.

Just a nanny? Just a nurse?

Checked. It's not as glitzy sounding as rocking a gallery opening or dusting off exotic rocks, but he's right, I like to take care of people. I am The Last Unicorn and I like to take care of people and I'm better at it than I am at most things. Is the mathematician shy about the fact that she is adept at the language of numbers? No! Does the fashion designer wear his own clothes? Of course. I'm proud of my skills and I love what I do and that was the last time I'll ever answer that question with anything less than enthusiasm.

The fundamentals of life are deceptively simple. If you want to go, go. If you want something get it. Because you won't be "going or getting" if you never try. Slowly, but surely I'm getting better at this in my life. For me, it all boils down to overcoming one form of fear or another.

No comments: