Tuesday, February 05, 2013

L&D

She said I would cry, but I didn't believe her.  As the head slipped out of the passageway a wave of emotion came over me, also onto my shoes and scrubs.  She gripped my hand and we made eye contact.  "Yo.  It's a girl."  The next five minutes were a blur.  Blood poured from her as the doctor began his work.  My arms became heavy with soiled linens.  "Put those down!  Come and feel the cord pulsing."

So I did.  Wiping tears from the tip of my nose without getting blood or bodily fluids on my face is a skill they didn't teach us in school.  The peds doctor came in and saw me looking dumbfounded, "I know right?  It never gets old."  Even though I watched the entire process, as I placed lil L on the warmer I couldn't comprehend how she just came from inside that.  After assessing the new human I placed her back on her mom's chest while the doctor removed any remaining placental fragments or clots, "Damn, I'm in love." Cue tears.

When I get salty about having to get up early or not getting to go out and get wild, I'll think of this moment.  I will think of the privilege I have to experience such awesome feats of nature.  I'll think of A  falling in love with the newest member of her family.  This frustration at missing out on everything is temporary, but these images and experiences will stay with me forever.

No comments: