Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Land of the Rising Sun

Do You Know South Korea? from David Dutton on Vimeo.


It's videos like these that really make me miss South Korea. Maybe it's not even SK so much, but the adventure and awe of travel. I've also been reading a book about first year nursing (because I'm excited), and the traveling nurses always pique my interest the most. My best friend is in a foreign land very far away, and she misses home desperately. She tells me that she understands the privilege and pros of travel, but she just misses her people too much. "What's really the point," she says? I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with me for always wanting to experience somewhere else. I love my people here and I love my new home, but the promise of new experiences is intoxicating. I wonder if my wanderlust will ever dissipate?

I remember the night we stayed out until the sun rose. I stood on a barrel in the bar, hands cupped like a megaphone yelling obscenities. We couldn't stop laughing because we told those boys from England to fuck off. I drank in everything that was around me (including about six of the best mojitos I've ever had). Everything just looked perfect. On the cab ride home I remember following the crest of the sun rise with my finger, thinking about how much I'd like to share this with S. The next day we found a mountain and climbed it. That night had to be one of the top-ten best sleeps of my life.

No comments: