Friday, January 28, 2011

Head Space

What does it mean to be modern? It is not strictly a style, but rather an attitude to style, one that is less purist and more creative than you might imagine. To create a modern space is to take in the full panoply of international references, to consider place and climate, form and function, and to invent inspired environments that adapt easily to modern living.


What is style? I mean really, what does it mean to you? I've been asking myself that question a lot this week. There are so many facets of that question to answer, because "style" can take on so many forms and manifestations. Personal style, writing style (struggling with that as well, ha ha), speaking style, living style (interior and otherwise). Do these things need to be defined? Or is it just a creature comfort; I feel better in this role because I can define it to others? Or does defining say a personal style empower us to make bolder and riskier decisions? In my head I want to separate a working sense of style, from my own pretension and self consciousness. Perhaps this question has been plaguing me because my own sense of style/self (is it one and the same?) has been stifled by, well myself. But that's a whole 'nother post!

Have a great weekend everyone, by Tuesday it will already be February! That much closer to sunshine and warmth!

Photo xposted from thesartorialist. (Tuesday January 25, 2011)

No comments: