Thursday, November 18, 2010

If it's broke, maybe you should consider getting a new one?

After election day last week I wrote up this big long blog about the politics of voting, the importance of voting, and how bad I feel for well meaning Obama. But it has just sat in my drafts folder sort of staring me down. I think it's probably a little too late, but my mind fell back onto it when I read an article on wbez.org about two influential Chicago alderman enacting a $1 taxi surcharge.

Finance Committee Chair Ed Burke's reasoning are as follows, "These are mainly used by visitors to Chicago, business people who're on expense accounts and it isn't a big amount," Burke said. "A $1 surcharge isn't going to hurt anybody, in my opinion." Ugh, when concerned Taxi driver George Lutfallah voiced his concern that the surcharge may discourage people from taking taxis for shorter trips Burke says, "Good." "That'll be good for people's exercise ... They'll get more exercise walking."

You know who takes taxis a lot in the city? City dwellers with children, elderly people, drunk people who are responsible enough not to take out their keys. You know who else takes taxis? Regular people (without expense accounts) that live in the city that don't want to clog the streets with more traffic and have a need to get somewhere quickly. I'm so sick of arrogant policy makers that are out of touch with their constituency.

Good? If I was a part of the taxi assn. I would be furious that this guy is so disregarding of my profession. I could care less about taxis really because they creep me out, are already too expensive, and I'd usually rather walk, but for him to approach another surcharge (on top of last year's fuel surcharge) in such a flagrant way really pisses me off. Politicians are mostly a terrible lot that make decisions based on how they myopically perceive the world.

Remember when my blog was light and airy? I sort of miss that. Remember when I was more light and airy? I sort of miss that too. I need to worry worry less, which probably involves a lot of things. I need some c-c-ch-changes. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I've been sort of frustrated about everything lately. Blargh. I do not like that, no not at all.

Oh yeah, here's that article: Chicago alderman seek dollar surcharge on cab rides, ya'll.

No comments: